Will doing the Right Things cause Imposter Syndrome?

Yeah, you read that right.

Early in life, we learn good equals reward and bad equals punishment.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://codywtucker.com/right-things-cause-imposter-syndrome/

I’ve seen some interesting feedback, and it sparked a few thoughts.

Rewards aren’t significant, and doing right should be rewarding enough.

I agree but let’s break that down.

If today we found out we’d never be rewarded for anything again until the day we died, what would give fulfillment in life?

In this example, the sum of our good and bad deeds would decide if we lived well.

Is it right to expect someone to work for free? Should we defer our hope and be fulfilled by effort?

Effort’s definition is a vigorous or determined attempt. Attempting without reward is futility.

The proper reward should be a life well lived. Isn’t it better to live well in the moment, even if it means not doing every right thing?

Right is good, and wrong is evil. We should never get tired of doing good.

I take from that not doing something good is evil. It’s an impossible standard in my eyes.

There is an objectively good solution to every problem, but can anyone say they handled every situation properly?

Taking on the mantle of ultimate judge of what is good and evil for everyone we meet is a scary proposition.

I can’t think of a time in recent history when I feared doing something evil. That’s also a poor motivation to do good.

I’ve felt good compared to my past self, and when I move away from bad influences, I ask, “What is the best version of good I can do?”

I’ve decided to live by continuously sowing good in my life and those around me so we can be the rising tide that lifts all boats.

Instead of asking why do right? or what’s in it for me? Choose to do right because you can.

First, I want to honor the personal story you shared. Thanks for that.

For me, this article meant the option to decide for myself what’s right instead of being obligated to do every good thing.

All things are lawful [that is, morally legitimate, permissible], but not all things are beneficial or advantageous. All things are lawful, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life]. ~1Cor 10:23 AMP

Through maturity, we can give ourselves more than the choice of simply good or evil, right or wrong. Some things are good but aren’t beneficial.